The volunteers may come and go to the orphanage as they wish. Arrive as early as you want to help the kids get ready, then at 9:30 am you may to walk children to school. You can pick up the younger ones at 3 pm or you can come to help them with their homework around 4 pm. On their days off (there are many festivals in Nepal, where they shut down the schools), sometimes it is nice to organize a picnic around lunch time and bring them various snacks and treats.
Below, you will find the children’s daily routine. Note that these are approximate times.
Children’s Daily routine – School days (Sunday-Friday)
- 6-6:30 Wake up and have tea and snacks.
- 6:30-7:00 Free play.
- 7-7:30 Fetch water from local spring.
- 7:30-9:00 Activities in the playroom. (Volunteers may organize activities.)
- 9:00 Breakfast time Volunteers have breakfast with children. Children have their places to sit and eat.
- 9:30 Get ready for school. Take younger children to school. Older children go by themselves.
- 10:00-14:45 Free time for volunteers.
- 15:00 Children finish school at 15:00. Volunteers may go and collect younger children from school.
- 15:30 Snack and tea.Volunteers join them for this.
- 16:00-16:30 Homework time. Help with homework if needed.
- 16:30-17:30 Activities for children. Volunteers to organize.
- 17:30-18:00 Evening meal .Volunteers join them.
- 18:30 Getting ready for bed. Volunteers can help with washing and brushing teeth; depending on the time of year this may be later.
- 19:00 Bed time.
Children’s Daily Routine – Holidays/weekends
- 6:00-6:30 Wake up and have tea.
- 6:30-7:00 Free play 7:00-7:30. Fetch water from local spring.
- 7:30-9:00 Activities in the playroom. Volunteers may organize various activities for this time.There are no organized activities. Clean-up and washing during this time.
- 9:00 Breakfast time.
- 9:30-11.00 Activities for children either in playroom or outside. Volunteers may organize more activities for this time.
- 11:00-15:30 Free time for volunteers. Children responsibility of housemothers.
- 15:30 Snack/tea time. Volunteers may join them for this.
- 16:00-17:30 Activities for children.
- 17:30-18:00 Evening meal. Volunteer to join them for meal.
- 18:30 Getting ready for bed. Volunteers can help with washing and brushing teeth.
Depending on the time of year, this may be later.
“And what exactly do we do as volunteers?”
Your job, as a volunteer, can be any of the following tasks:
- Help the children with their English language with your own teaching tecniques
- Assist with homework (math, science, English)
- Help with getting ready for school/the day, or going to bed
- Pick up/drop off to school on their school days
- Teach about personal hygiene and keeping a clean, organized space
- Help the house mother with whatever activity she is doing (house work, cooking, grocery shopping)
- PLAY with the kids! Frisbee, football, carrom board (Nepali game), cards, races, etc
- Teach them any form of art, or let them teach you! Drawing, macaroni art, face painting, whatever else
- Dancing is always fun to do as well
- Take them to a picnic in the park
- Take them to the waterfront to go swimming
- Whatever else you can think of that would be fun and educational for them